Saturday, May 12, 2012

Macbeth

Ocracoke Island might be isolated, laid-back, relaxed, and a bit quirky, but it is no cultural backwater. Ocracoke has a vibrant music and art scene...and a long history of theater and musicals. Just two years ago our high school, under the direction of Charles Temple, produced "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

This year Charles has put together a cast of outstanding local actors to bring us another Shakespeare production, "Macbeth."


















As in the past, the play will be performed "en plein air," this time at the newly renovated Berkley Manor near the Ocracoke Preservation Museum. Opening night is Wednesday, May 16. Other performances will be on the 17th, 18th and 20th. All shows begin at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for children, and can be purchased in advance at the school office or at the door. 

You can read more about this production here: http://www.ocracokecurrent.com/31489

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Project Nutmeg, and how Ocracoke almost became a site for testing nuclear weapons. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042112.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:39 AM

    The Berkley Manor has been renovated? When did that happen? who did it?? What fun! Did you get a part this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Yes, I am with Anon 9:39 a.m. on this one. When did it get renovated? Is there any chance the land has been saved from development? I recall there was talk of trying to purchase the land for preservation. I would hate to see homes built on that lovely land. We'll look forward to an update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of what I know about the Berkley Manor is second hand. There was an open house Friday afternoon, but I missed it because I was sailing on the skipjack Wilma Lee. However, everyone I spoke with about the Berkley said it was amazing. I do not know the new owner, but I have noticed a large crew of workmen there for a number of weeks. Apparently the entire building has been renovated to the highest standards. It is now furnished and ready for occupancy. I understand that the new owners will be offering special all-inclusive packages for guests. If and when I learn specifics I will share them on this Journal.

    I have also been told that the new owners did not purchase all of the real estate, so it seems that building lots are still for sale. Again, I will share information as I learn more. Maybe one of our readers can tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:23 PM

    Oh let's hope that the new owners are so successful that they can buy up all the land and preserve that beautiful environment. I think the sprawling lawn would add so much to the preservation of the area.

    I was always hoping Phillip Howard would buy the entire complex, opening up the "Village Craftsmen II" and maintain the green area as a public park...haha

    Can you give us an "unofficial" approximate list of the largest undeveloped lots of land still left on Ocracoke? Plus, an idea of what island residents think about preserving the remaining land?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Springer's Point Nature Preserve is one of the largest undeveloped tracts in Ocracoke village. It is owned by the Coastal Land Trust. There are a couple of other large lots but at this time I am not aware that they are in danger of being developed. I recently heard that one rather large tract has been sold (or perhaps a contract has been signed) for the construction of a community baseball field.

    There is wide public support on Ocracoke for the preservation of open spaces and access to the water, but, of course, there is always economic pressure for development.

    ReplyDelete