Thursday, October 13, 2005

"I Still Haven't Figured This Place Out"

I returned home last night (after a 10 1/2 hour trip to Elizabeth City for a 10 minute appointment with my eye doctor) to the monthly Ocracoke Civic & Business Association Meeting. Among other things, I was reminded that our Fall Village Days have been changed to November 4 - 6. In a previous post I reported the dates as October 21 - 23. These were the original dates. I hope this hasn't caused anyone problems. I only recently learned of the change in dates.

Last night's meeting covered a variety of other subjects including replacing the chain tie-downs at the airstrip with ropes, plans for more adequate parking at the lighthouse, NPS campground news (it will remain open through the end of this month), discussion about hiring a professional webmaster for the OCBA Web Site, the possibility of having a private, relatively high speed passenger ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke village, and a report on a documentary film that is in progress ("Shifting Sands").

Andy (I can't remember his last name) spoke about the film that he is working on. He commented that Ocracoke and the people here just fascinate him. There is such a wide variety of folks on the island, with so many and different talents. Though conflicts happen, and progress on important issues can sometimes be arduous, somehow in spite of our quirkiness we manage to work together with generally good humor.

The meeting broke out in a hearty community laugh when Andy remarked, "I've been coming to the island for months now and I still haven't firured this place out."

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Old August Storm of 1899, published September 15, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news091505.htm.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment