Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Costumes

The days are gorgeous -- sunny and warm with temperatures hovering around 70 degrees. Nights are cooler -- perfect for great sleeping. Everyone is delighted with the weather. Halloween night saw hundreds of trick-or-treaters taking advantage of the summer-like conditions.

Children and adults stopped by decked out as witches, Star War characters, gangsters, fairies, cowgirls, and all manner of ghosts, ghouls, & goblins. After the last of the costumed visitors knocked on the door we sat around reminiscing about some of Ocracoke's most memorable adult Halloween revelers from years past. Most of them were too risque or otherwise inappropriate to describe here, but one of my all-time favorites was G-rated, funny, and oh-so-clever.

Some years ago Woody Billings showed up at one of the island's annual Halloween parties in vintage plaid pants. A leather golf bag was slung over his shoulder, a 1958 California license tag dangled around his neck, and he wore enormous rubber swim fins on his feet.

I must admit I had to ask him, "What, exactly, are you supposed to be?" If you can't figure it out, just click here for the answer: What was Woody dressed as?

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of George & Jule, published October 29, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102905.htm.

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:34 AM

    I love to hear of the very ingenious costumes that folks come up with. I put them in the back of my mind for the appropriate moments....My last one was a little risque, but I will remember this as I was born in '58 and that would be a great costume for me...Judy

    ReplyDelete