Monday, January 02, 2006

Back on the Island

Ocracoke's own Molasses Creek band was playing for the city of Raleigh's First Night celebration on New Year's Eve. Lou Ann & I joined my daughter Amy and Fiddler Dave's parents to help Molasses Creek and the other performers ring in 2006.

There were musicians, comedians, fire eaters, jugglers, exotic animals, street vendors, and dancers. At the stroke of midnight we counted down as a giant acorn was lowered into the midst of the crowd. Fireworks lit up the sky and we all joined in singing "Old Lang Syne."

Along the way to the celebration Lou Ann & I stopped in Beaufort to visit the Mariner's Museum and to admire the historic homes downtown. In New Bern we toured historic Tryon Palace, the early 18th century governor's mansion.

I'm home tonight. Lou Ann is back in Indiana. We had a wonderful time. I only wish Lou Ann had been here with me to enjoy my afternoon walk on the beach today. The sky was gray and overcast; the ocean turbulent. But the rain held off. So I walked for miles remembering the good times of 2005, and looking forward to another terrific year.

All of us at Village Craftsmen wish you the very happiest of New Years. And we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the island. Please stop by and say hello.

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Ocracoke's Street Names, Part II, published December 19, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news121805.htm.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment