Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Back Home

I arrived back on the island yesterday evening on the 5 o'clock Hatteras ferry. David & Amy (and David's parents, Pat & Steve, and Lachlan, of course) wanted me to stop by for chili. It was dusk, so I made a detour by the late Barbara Spencer home "up Trent" to see the recent fire damage. It was quite the scene. I understood islanders' concerns, and the respect everyone has for our volunteer fire department. Although the house was a total loss, as far as I know no one suffered any serious injury, and there was little or no damage to adjacent homes and trees.

Amy sent me some photos. You can see for yourself how destructive this fire was.






You can read our latest newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news021806.htm. It's the story of the US Life Saving Station on Ocracoke and the wreck of the A.F. Crockett on February 17, 1885.

.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Philip,
    Sorry to hear about the Fire, glad no one was hurt. Ment to send OVFD a donation last fall and never did, so I'm writing check now. Fires are bad anywhere but on an island with high winds, I'm sure it was ruff. We just had over 500 acres burn close by, if wind had changed directions, it would have come my way. Hope your filling better and had a safe trip back from IN.
    Take Care,
    Nollie
    Saddle Mtn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the donation. Sometimes it's difficult for off-islanders to understand how vulnerable we are on Ocracoke. I understand that our fire department called for back-up from Hatteras -- but that means a fairly long response time when you count the drive and the ferry. I heard that the ferry captain ran wide open and made the crossing in record time. Thanks to all the volunteers (from Ocracoke & Hatteras) and the ferry captain & crew.

    ReplyDelete