Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Family Dinner

Community pot lucks and other gatherings are great, but tonight was special for me. My son, Stefen, was back for a week visiting the island. It has been a while since he has been here. He teaches computer science at Mars Hill College in the mountains of North Carolina. He is also working on his Ph.D., so with his studies, his teaching (including summer classes), and his family (he has a wonderful wife & three super children), he doesn't get home as much as he'd like.

Amy, Lachlan, & I walked down to the ferry and met him when he drove down the ramp. It almost felt like the old days when the daily mailboat pulled up to the dock in late afternoon and everyone was gathered there to get their mail and to see who was on board. We all went back to my house for a big family dinner (there were 9 of us). After dinner Stefen & I sat in the rockers on the pizer (the front porch) and visited. Very nice!

The weather is terrific, so I'm looking forward to walking on the beach tomorrow with Stefen and Amy, David, & Lachlan.

You can read our latest newsletter here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news021806.htm. It's the story of the US Life Saving Station on Ocracoke and the wreck of the A.F. Crockett on February 17, 1885.

.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:57 PM

    Ok, Philip,
    I know I have a pizer on my house in Oriental, because my porch looks like yours in Ocracoke. My question is, how do you pronounce "pizer" and do you know where the word came from? Is it an Ocracoke word? I'm curious!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete