Sunday, November 05, 2006

Geocaching

Former island resident, Warner Passanisi, recently posted this message:

"Hi Pip [Warner calls me Pip] and Friends,

I wonder if any of you have got involved in the new craze that is sweeping the nation, the world, and yes, even Howard Street - geocaching. Well I just found a few caches on the island, with one just down the road from the Village Craftsmen ([to find info on this one] just do a search on geocaching.com for GCQ39V.) Pip, this would seem to be right up your alley - literally. I can see you on your walking tour, GPSs at the ready!

Anyway, I would suggest small shells and other natural finds on the island to be the perfect caches. So to all those who search, and to all who bury new caches I leave you with ... RESPECT THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT, and private property, and on Ocracoke, abide by the National Seashore laws.

Happy hunting,

Warner Passanisi"

Katie and John from the Cove B & B (on Loop Road) first introduced me to geocaching. A number of folks have wandered by searching for the small cache Katie & John have hidden on Howard Street. I haven't "gotten into it" but those who do seem to enjoy the challenge. And the Howard Street search includes a brief recounting of the funny story I tell about the island's first automobile accident. Enjoy!

To see new items we've added to our on-line catalog, please click here: "What's New at Village Craftsmen".

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's the story of two old maps (1590 & 1795) and place names on the Outer Banks.

1 comment:

  1. Found this geocache in 2008. Loved the fact that Ocracoke had a nice collect of caches on the island. Have a habit of visiting this one each time I come.

    ReplyDelete