Monday, April 02, 2007

Hello Again!

Hi. This is Philip. I've been away for a while -- well not "away away" the whole time. Spent a week helping my son rewire his house, then enjoyed a bit of island time without many responsibilities. This last week Lou Ann & I took a little trip -- went to see her son and daughter-in-law, and had a few other adventures. Among our excursions we included a wonderful four hour canoe trip (seven miles) through the Ocala (Florida) National Forest. We missed the alligators, but did see about two dozen turtles and one very large rattlesnake. I was paddling backwards against the current to get a better look when I realized that Lou Ann was paddling just as hard trying to get away. Finally he slithered back into the underbrush. Just as well, I guess.

We had a super trip with lots of laughter, great talks, terrific swimming, walking, and fascinating history. Alas, it was too brief.

But I'm back home again, ready for a busy two weeks. Stop by and say hello when you're next on the island.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells how to make a traditional wooden whistle from a myrtle branch. You can read the newsletter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment