Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Virginia Woolf

Last night a group of about two dozen islanders gathered at the home of Leonard Meeker for a pot luck dinner. As usual, there was a table full of delicious dishes, from home made bread to lemon curd & almond ice cream, and everything in between. The evening was about more than eating, however. It was a celebration of the 125th birthday of Virginia Woolf (OK, we were a few months late). Unfortunately I am not as literary as many of the other folks, and had only read 28 pages of To the Lighthouse (I only picked up the book at 11 p.m. the night before), but was fascinated by Woolf's life, her literary gifts, and the insights so many of my neighbors had. It certainly was an inspiration, and you can be sure I will finish my book (though I may have to wait until this busy week is over).

If any of our readers would like to share Virginia Woolf quotations or anecdotes just click on the "comments" link below. We'd be happy to hear from you.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells how to make a traditional wooden whistle from a myrtle branch. You can read the newsletter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment