Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dentist & Styrofoam

I left the island yesterday morning for Nags Head. That's where my dentist is located. After a thorough cleaning and checkup I was happy to hear that everything was just fine. No cavities. Not even any suspicious looking areas. Just continue what I've been doing -- brushing and flossing regularly -- I was told.

I got back home earlier than I'd expected (even after running a couple of errands), so I took my walk on the beach. I hadn't been out to the beach for several days. I'd heard that a container of ceiling fans had tumbled off of a ship and broken open. The Styrofoam packing material broke apart and was scattered along Outer Banks beaches. I'd been told that quite a lot of Styrofoam was littering our beaches.

On the ferry ranger Kenny Ballance assured me that workers had been sent to the coast, including Ocracoke, to pick up the debris. Fishermen and other beachgoers have helped too. By the time I took my walk yesterday afternoon the beach was clean. No Styrofoam to be seen.

Too bad ceiling fans don't float.

This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment