Friday, November 02, 2007

Black Beard

Several days ago we published our latest Ocracoke Newsletter, comments on the history of Ocracoke's most (in)famous visitor, Captain Edward Teach, aka Black Beard the Pirate. There has been some fascinating new research exploring Black Beard's origins. You can read some of the latest information by clicking here.

I woke up this morning to wind....25 - 30 mph wind....from Hurricane Noel which is tracking to the northeast offshore. Forecasters are calling for high surf with breakers of 8 - 10 feet later today. I think I'll check out the beach sometime this afternoon. It is always exciting to see the ocean worked up. It is a periodic reminder of how vulnerable we are in the face of wild nature.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Interesting new thoughts on NC's famous Pirate! I'll be on the Island 10th-18th, first time in 2 years, didn't get to come last November due to death in family. Really looking forward to week of R&R. Wife will join me 15-18th. Will you still be doing any walking tours or is it getting to cold & slow??? - Will drop by the shop after she joins me on the island. Nollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Last night and today; what is left of Noel is hitting Copenhagen! Although cold, windy, raining weather is not exactly the best thing for my bike ride home from school or my friday night's adventures, I think it is really cool that you had this same storm last weekend!

    Savner dig Ocracoke!
    (Miss you Ocracoke)
    Elsker fra Emma!
    (Love from Emma)

    ReplyDelete