Monday, February 08, 2010

Snowshoes?

Visitors to Ocracoke often ask us residents where WE go for vacation. The answer, of course, depends on whom you ask, but most of us take time away from the island in the winter months. Some travel to warm islands in the Caribbean. Others fly to Central America, Europe, or more exotic countries in Asia or Oceana. Some hunt in Montana. Still others book cruises to Alaska. Many visit family and friends throughout the United States. Some simply enjoy Ocracoke in the quiet months of the off-season.

In recent years I have made several trips each winter to visit Lou Ann in northeast Indiana. I am there as I write, having left my house in the care of Amy & David and my brother & his girlfriend. I will share some of our plans and adventures these next couple of weeks...and I will keep you updated about island life as I hear from family and friends back home.

Here are a couple of photos our friend Fred Wooley took of Lou Ann and me at Pokagan State Park. We like to spend time there hiking in the woods. This time Fred loaned us some snow shoes. You can click on a photo to see a larger image.




Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter tells the story of Ocracoker, Kelly O'Neal, and the 1951 revolution in Siam (Thailand). You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012910.htm

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:17 AM

    When we lived in Indiana (Elkhart) we spent many long week-ends at Pokagen State Park. Do they still have the tobaggan run? That was such a thrill! Have a great time!
    You might also want to travel down to Bristol, In., and take in Bonneyville Mill. It's wonderful for walking the trails along the creek. I doubt the mill is open this time of year, but if they are pick up some fresh ground flours for David so he can make more bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tobaggan run is still operating. It's a fun way to spend a couple of hours. Thanks for the other suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you folks from Elkhart! Isn't this a beautiful snowstorm? I live just minutes away from Pokagon. My son is an interpreter there as well. The tobaggan is refrigerated now and runs from Thanksgiving until March 1st, I believe. It will be busy this week end with this weather. Stay warm over there...Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:59 PM

    Those are huge rocks out there just in the middle of know where!!. What was it a glacier that uprooted the bedrock eons ago???. Pray tell the story behind the boulders

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guessing glaciers also. There are lots of lakes in this county, and I think they were created by glaciers too.

    ReplyDelete