Monday, July 19, 2010

Family

Yesterday afternoon David, Lachlan, and I motored out into the sound. Our goal was to meet the Cedar Island ferry as it approached Ocracoke. My son, Stefen, and his family were coming to the island for two weeks.

We were early so we anchored off of Springer's Point and David & Lachlan went for a swim. It was such a pleasure to see them frolicking in the water...laughing and carrying on. When they finally climbed back on board I asked Lachlan if he knew what an idyllic childhood he was having! Of course, he didn't have a clue what I was asking...but he will remember fondly these experiences for the rest of his life.

As it turned out, the Cedar Island ferry was late, and Lachlan & David had reasons to get back to shore, so we didn't see Stefen, Snee, Zoe, Eakin, & Eliza until their car pulled into the yard across the lane. Immediately the grandchildren ran over and gave me enthusiastic hugs. We walked through the house, filled buckets with water from the hand pump, and sat on the porch swing chatting. But they all wanted to get to the ocean before supper. So off we went. What fun it was to see them swimming, diving, and laughing together.

By 6:30 we were all sitting around a large outdoor table at the Jolly Roger restaurant enjoying a simple supper, watching sailboats and shrimpers in the harbor, sharing stories, and listening to David and the rest of the band entertain us with lively tunes as the sun sank below the horizon.

Yes, indeed, it's so fine to have family to share the good life with!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a tribute to independent spirit and island character Don Wood. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062110.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Is there a bee keeper on the island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...no bee keeper on Ocracoke as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 PM

    wow. i'd give anything to be able to give my boys the childhood that Amy, David and you are giving to little Lachlan. he is one fortunate little boy and i am sure that one day, he will treasure the time spent on the sound with you and daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philip (and all other contributors)-I just want to say a big THANK YOU!! When I was 15, I visited Ocracoke for about an hour while waiting on a ferry to somewhere else. It has haunted me since. Twenty years later, I planned a week for my family to come here and it is by far the best family vacation we've ever had. I've been lurking in your blog for several months to get a feel for the island and you really delivered it. Thanks so much for writing this (plus Digging Up Uncle Evans). Indispensable for someone who wants to feel at home here. We'll be back!

    ReplyDelete