Saturday, April 09, 2011

Another Whale Sighting

Early Wednesday afternoon I was walking along the beach, enjoying the sun and the breeze. I had walked about a mile and a half when, suddenly for no particular reason, I decided to turn around and look behind me. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a large area of disturbed water out near the horizon. Immediately I realized it was too big to have been caused by a pelican diving for fish.

I stopped and peered into the Atlantic. In moments I was rewarded with a view of the massive flukes of a whale rising up out of the water. Here is my crude drawing:

The whale sounded, then in short order the flukes reappeared. This was repeated about a dozen times...then the whale disappeared.


The next time you are out walking along the beach be sure to keep your eyes open for these majestic creatures. I've heard of more whale sightings in the last few months than ever before.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a list of traditional island remedies. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news032111.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    Philip,

    We are all thankful for your artistic skills, but next time bring a camera.

    Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:01 AM

    Gosh, what I wouldn't give to see a whale while standing on the beautiful beaches of Ocracoke!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Philip, you do keep your faithful bloggers entertained!

    Another excellent example how being on the island never disappoints with giving such wonderful "free" simple joys! Wish I was there right this very minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Philip...serious whale breeching just north of R70 today! It breeched over and over again. Pretty sure it was a humpback by the looks of the fins. So excited I had to tell someone. :) -Maria

    ReplyDelete