Thursday, August 02, 2012

Fishermen

I once wrote that after 1846, when Hatteras Inlet opened during a hurricane, that many Ocracoke men either moved to Hatteras to continue operating as pilots, or turned to seafaring. In looking over the 1900 census I discovered that only eighteen men are listed as sailors, but thirty-six men are listed as either fishermen (25), oystermen (10), or watermen (1). I had thought that fishing didn't surpass seafaring until several decades later, when inboard engines replaced sails, and when electricity (and hence, the manufacturing of ice) came to the island. So I see that I was wrong about that. When I have more time I will check the other early twentieth century censuses and give a report of the occupations listed.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Hurricane House and the Hurricane Boards. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072112.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment