Friday, January 11, 2013

Dolphins

One (of many) joys of living on Ocracoke is coming back home after being off the island for a while. Our recent holiday trip to Europe was a wonderful experience, full of many new experiences and adventures, to be sure.

And coming home was equally delightful. On my first stroll along the surf I was struck with how beautiful and peaceful the winter beach is. The hard-packed sand made it easy to walk near the water, or along the high tide line strewn with shells and seaweed. Hardly a soul was to be seen, but I was not alone. Just offshore, within swimming distance had I been so inclined (brrr!), was a pod of dolphins. They were swimming back and forth (searching for food, I suppose), and then I noticed some of them surfing the waves farther off shore. As I was watching, a youngster (he or she was a much lighter gray) jumped completely out of the water and dove straight down again. Once more, and the show was over.

At risk of extreme self-centeredness, I would like to think the dolphins were welcoming me home!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the day Charles Lindbergh landed on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112112.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:35 AM

    Beautiful description! It's almost like I was there!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think that they really were... Dolphins don't do tricks for just anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni W.10:46 AM

    There is so much joy in watching dolphins in the ocean. Glad they welcomed you home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was my cat sitting on my back porch waiting for me. P.S. I really don't own a cat, but he (the cat) doesn't know that!

    ReplyDelete