Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Clamming

Every now and then I mention clamming in this blog, but I seldom take any photos when I am out in the Sound. Earlier this week I took friends out to rake a few clams. Erin Jones took these pictures.























Back home we opened the clams, topped them with bacon and Parmeseon cheese...


















...and broiled them for about 15 - 20 minutes.



















When I brought them to the table, they didn't last long!

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells the delightful story of the 19th century "Stovepipe Hat" wreck. It has been told for years in books & magazines, but it probably never happened. You can read the story (and my research) here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072115.htm.

7 comments:

  1. clams mmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Is that your boat back in the water, Phillip? Last I recall, you'd found her sunk at the dock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is a friend's fiberglass boat (he lets me use it in exchange for keeping it in my boat slip). My wooden skiff is not out of the water because it sank at the dock (a freak occurrence when the wake of a dredge washed over the stern), but because it has become much too much work (cleaning, scraping, getting the wood to swell up, and painting) every year for the few times I use it.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:37 PM

    wanna sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:13 PM

    fair enough. I have a feeling you'll be back in it one day.
    Thanks for the reply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are some great photos! She is good...

    ReplyDelete