Friday, October 23, 2015

Buffaloes

[There were no posts for the last two days because I was out sailing in Pamlico Sound with Capt. Rob and other friends...and I neglected to schedule posts while I was away. But I am back again. I hope you missed me!]

A monument near the National Park Service Visitors Center remembers veterans of the Civil War from Ocracoke and Portsmouth Islands.

Photo courtesy OPS
















Although most island soldiers fought for the Confederacy, some joined the Union army. John Carbone, in The Civil War in Coastal North Carolina, writes that "A number of Bankers and other coastal residents joined the two regiments of Union infantry composed of native North Carolinians known as 'buffaloes.' To be sure, not all Outer Bankers supported their invaders. At the same time as some were taking the oath of allegiance and joining the Federal ranks, others were crossing the sounds and enlisting in Confederate units such as the Thirty-third North Carolina Regiment being formed in Hyde county in the autumn of 1861."

Historian David Stick has written that "Whether the Union sentiment, especially on Hatteras Island [and we might add Ocracoke], was of the genuine, inbred type or simply an expedient to make the best of changing conditions, the fact is that many of the Bankers did side with the North."

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of whale and porpoise fishing on  the Outer Banks. You can read the story here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082115.htm.

10 comments:

  1. Philip, you were definitely missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back! I was wondering what adventures you were having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. You were definitely missed... And hearing that you were out sailing... ... I'm now a little jealous, too. :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:34 AM

    Would it be safe to say that most island residents tend to be more to the left politically these days? Just seems that way based on observations and voting trends. Just curious thinking about today's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for taking so long to reply to this question, but, yes, it appears so, at least by voting records. With that said, there is quite a bit of diversity of opinions on Ocracoke...about almost everything. But by and large, Ocracokers tend to be accepting of different world views, and tolerant of a variety of lifestyles.

      Delete
  5. My gggrandfather, Simon Bailey, was one that joined the Thirty-Third. He was taken POW at Gettsyburg and released to meet my gggrandmother Louisa Austin and begin my ggrandmother Sally, who was born the day Abe Lincoln died. I don't know what happened to Simon after that. He was completely out of the picture by the 1870 Census.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie from PA2:58 PM

    Yes, the questions and scenarios were definitely flowing as to what you were doing. Glad it was something positive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:20 PM

    let the man go sailing and have some fun don't try to make him feel guilty. Philip, you need to get away more - it felt good didn't it? I hope you had a great time and forgot about your normal daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie from PA6:07 PM

    I don't begrudge him his time off at all. Keeping a daily blog as informative as Philip's is takes time. He deserves time off, as he has done on the weekends, if he wishes,. All I meant was that it was such an abrupt absence. I think I am safe in saying his readers care about him. That's all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Marie, my comment was not directed to you, I am sorry if it sounded that way. I just meant it's fun to just sneak off with telling the world y our every move...I sneak to Ocracoke a couple of times a year and don't tell anyone. sometimes I drop hinys like I am headed to the mountains then I high-tail it to Ocracoke or Manteo.
    We all like Philips blog......it's almost like a daily visit into the window of a vacation....anon 5:20

    ReplyDelete